Sunday, March 10, 2013

Empties, 2nd Edition

It's time for another edition of Empties!

These are all the products that I finished during the months of January and February.  I'm finding that it isn't that hard to finish products when you focus on certain ones instead of dabbling in everything.







1.  Johnson's Moisture Care Body Wash - I originally bought this to use when I was trying to avoid oils in my beauty products.  This wash is very gentle and non-irritating.  There wasn't as much lather as would be with "adult" body washes.  It smelled just like baby lotion, but the scent did not linger after showering.  I ended up finishing this up as a bubble bath, and it was adequate in its bubble-producing abilities.  I won't repurchase this because I have things I like better.

2.  Skin Milk Facial Lotion - My husband, after listening to me tout the importance of facial moisturizing, picked this up one day after forgetting to lotion his face at home.  This had a consistency between lotion and cream.  There was a soft vanilla scent, which I normally do not go for in facial products. This scent was light, so I tolerated this for the sake of using it up.  As for performance, it was a good moisturizer for both face and body.  I won't be repurchasing this.

3.  St. Ives Oatmeal & Shea Butter Lotion - I bought this to use as a hand cream on the go.  There wasn't much of a noticeable scent.  The consistency of this lotion was a little sticky, probably due to the high percentage of glycerin.  This lotion was okay -- it worked well on damp hands right after washing, but was ineffective in banishing the ash on dry hands.  I think it will work well as an after-shower lotion. However, I won't repurchase as a hand cream.

4.  Clear Scalp & Hair Therapy Total Care Nourishing Daily Conditioner - My first thought about this is the smell.  Heavy, thick, cloying, weird salon smell that I didn't like at all!  It was thicker than most daily conditioners I use, but the performance was about the same.  It's a okay conditioner if you can get past the smell, which I cannot do.  I won't repurchase.

5.  Bath & Body Works Mango Mandarin Body Wash - A few years ago, I was a regular user of this wash.  I loved fragrance, and I wanted my hygiene experience to be scented from start to finish.  I loved it for all the foam it produced and the wonderful smell!  My skin eventually rebelled, however, and I was forced to stop using this.  Finally, I finished the last bits as a bubble bath.  It made lots of bubbles and scented my bathroom nicely.  My skin wasn't irritated by the one-off usage, but I know it will be if this product was a part of my routine again.  I won't repurchase.




6. Equate Purifying Cleanser - This is the dupe for the Proactiv cleanser.  I don't feel like either is especially cleansing, and I prefer using other cleansers.  To use this up, I mixed this with my Cerave Foaming Cleanser to give it a little more oomph.  Glad it's gone, won't repurchase.

7.  Vaseline Total Moisture Cocoa Radiant Lotion - Love, love, love!  This lotion works for me year-round as a basic, useful daily moisturizer.  It has a slightly runny texture and a very light cocoa scent.  I can use it all summer by itself! In the winter, I layer it with Vaseline Total Moisture Cocoa Butter Cream or the Vaseline with Cocoa Butter on dry spots.  This whole line from Vaseline is a winner in my household, and I have already repurchased this in the 32 oz. size.

8.  Avon Foot Works Sugar Lime Mojito Cooing Lotion - I confess, this is really a purged item.  It still has about 1/3 left in the tube, but I cannot stomach another day of putting this sticky stuff on my legs and feet.  Will not purchase nor even finish.

9.  St. Ives Apricot Scrub - I buy this from time to time when I run out of other scrubs and want to use something different.  It is creamy with very chunky scrubby bits.  It's very effective at scrubbing.  In fact, it may be too harsh on my face sometimes when I'm suffering from breakouts. I wish it rinsed a bit cleaner - I sometimes used a cleanser after this. I also tried it on my feet with good results.  I don't hate this, so maybe I'll purchase it again for travel or between other scrubs.

10.  Tresemmé Tres Gel Extra Hold - I got a lot of kinky, curly hair (click here to see what I mean).  This "extra hold" is not my idea of extra hold.  It did a good job of defining curls, but doesn't help with slicking my hair back into a puff.  On the other hand, there was no annoying smell.  It's just okay, and I won't repurchase.




I also managed to use up two lippies recently.  I don't know whether to be happy that I used up another Revlon Lip Butter or mad that there's not a lot of product for the money.  

11.  Revlon Lip Butter in Pink Truffle - When I first bought this, I thought it would be the perfect my-lips-but-better color.  It is adequate in that role, but I think the color is a little lighter than I prefer for natural looks.  I will continue to purchase lip butters, just not in this shade.

12.  Lip Smackers in Berry Peach - I liked the smell of this, but it didn't really keep my lips hydrated.  Because of this, I used this up a lot faster than other balms this size.  I won't repurchase and I won't miss it.






13.  Victoria's Secret vanilla scented massage oil - I tried to use this up as an after-shower body oil, but it made my skin itch.  It's discontinued, but I wouldn't repurchase if it wasn't.

14.  Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion - I read good reviews of this on MakeupAlley, so I decided to give this a trial run as a hand cream.  It's too sticky for my liking.  Like the St. Ives lotion, I found that it works much better on damp than dry skin.  I may repurchase someday as an all-over body lotion, but not for my purse to use on the go.

15.  Avon Moisture Effective Eye Makeup Remover - I've used this for years to remove my eye makeup, and it can remove it all, even waterproof mascara.   It is oil-based, but that does not bother me because I normally wash my face afterwards.  However, lately the residue has been irritating my eyes.  I have to be extra careful when using this now.  I have another bit of a bottle to use up, then I won't repurchase, at least while I have other options for makeup removal.

16.  Aveda Green Science Perfecting Cleanser - This milky, non-foaming cleanser would be much better suited for those with dry skin.  When I used it, it felt like I was rubbing lotion on my face, and it left a residue.  It didn't break me out or irritate me, but my skin didn't feel clean.  I'm glad to have tried it, but I will not repurchase.





17.  Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes Mascara - I had to purge this after one use.  Upon applying, my eyes began to sting and itch.  I had to leave it on because I was hurrying to work, and my eyes continued to itch a little all day.  When I removed it, my eyes stung and itched more, maybe because the mascara was wet again.  The mascara was okay for a natural boost to your lashes, but I can't risk another allergic reaction by using it again.

18.  E.L.F. Eyelid Primer - I received this in a swap as an extra. Because it came unsealed and I can't tell if it's brand new or not, I won't use it.  However, I have used this product before and I think it is an affordable alternative to Urban Decay Primer Potion or Too Faced Shadow Insurance.  I may repurchase in a pinch, but not for a while because I have several primers to use up.



19.  Organic Root Stimulator (ORS) Olive Oil - This is a creamy hair moisturizer.  It works well on my hair when curly, but it's really useful when I wear my hair straight.  I rarely do so, however, so I gave this to my husband to try after he ran out of his hair products. It works well for his kinky curly hair as well, which he wears much shorter than I do.  Normally I would not include this in a list of Empties, but since I originally bought it for my hair, I decided to include it just this once.  I have repurchased for my spouse, and I'll use it myself in a pinch or when my hair is straight.

20.  Alberto V05 Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying Conditioner - I like this conditioner a lot.  It smells nice and the runny texture makes it easy for me to get it down to my scalp for co-washing my hair.   It clears buildup nicely between shampoos.  This is a definite repurchase once I work my way through the other conditioners in my stash.

21. Nivea Creme - I used to keep this in my purse for my dry hands.  At some point, I set it aside, perhaps to make more room in my purse.  I found it in a catch-all bowl in my dining room, and when I opened it to find the remains all dried up.  I'll repurchase the next time we have a rough winter or I have a bad bout of ezcema.



 

22.  Epielle Cucumber Cleansing Tissues - I first heard about these from G. over at Nouveau Cheap, who really likes them.  I like them as well, but primarily as a hand wipe when I'm applying makeup.  I use my fingers to apply foundation, and this takes it right off without drying my hands out.  As a face wipe, it removes powder foundation and blush readily, but irritates my eyelids when I try to rub off makeup there.  It also leaves a slight residue, so I usually use these as a pre-cleanse before washing my face.  I will repurchase, but mainly for my hands.





22. Shiseido Facial Cotton - These are so awesome!  The big, soft rectangles absorb liquid well and rubs across the face without irritation or annoying lint.  I use these to apply toner and remove eye makeup.  I can use one to tone both my face and my chest.  For my eyes, I use one side to remove one eye's worth of makeup, then turn it over for the other eye.  They seem expensive at $9.50 a package, but when I did the math, they were only cents more than ordinary cotton at the drugstore.  This is an cheap indulgence that I will not give up and I am looking forward to my next Sephora trip to replenish this.




23.  Bliss Fabulous Foaming Face Wash - I'm looking forward to using up my facial cleansers so that I can buy a full-size of this.  It cleanses well, doesn't irritate my skin, exfoliates lightly, and actually leaves my skin "soft and fresh" like it promised to do.

24.  Güd Natural Body Lotion in Vanilla Flame - I tried this over the course of a day at home, applying it every time I washed my hands.  It's just like the St. Ives and Aveeno lotions in that they are all glycerin-based, which means that it is most effective on damp skin.  The vanilla scent was light and creamy.  I liked it, but my mind was not blown; I probably won't purchase a full-size of this.


Looking back, I think I am proceeding at a steady pace to use up items.  I want to put a number on it, but I'm not sure how to count them.  Do I count purged items?  Where does travel/trial/sample sizes fit in?  Maybe I'll decide on a system soon. Until then, I'll continue to keep wearing down my stash!

No comments:

Post a Comment